The last prototype

 

Gearfix plaster mould
Deteriorating last effort.

To get final input of the right amount of bit holders for the gadget I made one last plaster mould.

Only bits
The flashlight was no longer with us. It had given me a heap of problems with quality, packaging, pricing, battery and usefulness issues. Now it was time to go from prototyping to production but I had to decide how many bits the drill bit holder should have. Time for one last prototype.

Detail of plaster mould
Thin metal pins.

Time saver
For the Lampowitz moulds I had huge problems with the holes for the bits. The small plaster “pins” for theese holes were braking off. And this time I needed ten pins in each half of the mould = a total of twenty brittle ”pins”! So I made a really simple clay dummy to cast in the plaster, cut the plaster in two with a saw and simply drilled holes to glue small metal “pins” into. It wasn’t pretty, but it was faster and worked good enough.

Sloppy Joe
I just needed one prototype so I did it rather hasty. Unfortunately silicone is extremely fluent and it ran straight through all the cracks of my poorly made mould into a elastic puddle on the table. Problem fixed with some plastic foam (the grey stuff on the right plaster mould).

Ruined prototype
Bubbly problems.

Stupid bubbles
Now the silicone was kept inside my mould but air bubbles ruined a few more attempts. Big pieces of the mould were chipped away for every failed attempt and I had to glue stuff back on all the time. Finally I got one functional prototype. It would have saved me lots of time and effort by doing the job properly to start with.

This is the living story of my venture to design & produce a completely new product for the consumer market. Hopefully it will inspire you to take a leap and do the same. Right now i´m in the middle of my mission and will mix recent events with an abundance of retrospective posting. My goal is that you will find it interesting, entertaining and invigorating.
Kommentera

E-postadressen publiceras inte. Obligatoriska fält är märkta *